welcome back. welcome back, welcome back, welcome back.

By Monday, October 01, 2012

I've been away for far too long -- jeez, March was my last post. Really? And it was about booze; fitting given my current situation of being a working mom of two. Whew. Tired just typing that.

For some reason, fall, more than any other season, really gets me excited to cook. Maybe it's because summer is all about fast cooking; eating things in their raw state or quickly cooking them to just enhance their freshness. Fall means roasting, stewing, braising and slowing down. Slowing down ... that sounds nice!

My return will be a slow one. I don't have my cooking act totally back together, but I was so inspired by the market and what I accomplished in the kitchen this weekend that I had to share.

At the market:
Apples -- 6 pounds of glorious orbs: Macoun, Macintosh, Jonagold, Jonathan, Cortland and Spartan.
Apple cider
Arugula
Bell peppers
Carrot
Cilantro
English hothouse cucumber
Italian frying peppers
Mustard greens: purple and green mixed varieties
Sweet corn
Tomatoes: paste, grape and sungold
Parsley
Winter squash: butternut and acorn

What we're eating this week: 30 September 2012
Sunday: Turkey-ricotta meatballs with arugula pesto, homemade applesauce and roasted butternut squash

Monday: Greek-style chicken cutlets with feta, tomatoes and mint; served with whole-grain flatbread and hummus

Tuesday: Burgers on the grill; served carrot and cucumber sticks

Wednesday: Salmon with Indian Spices; served with basmati-rice pilaf

Thursday: Italian wedding soup with mustard greens and leftover turkey meatballs

Friday: Slow-roasted market-tomato and goat cheese pizza; pizza margarita for the kiddos


You Might Also Like

0 comments