just desserts ... plus dance party USA

By Friday, September 27, 2013


This past Monday, I hosted our book club’s September session on my screened porch. Since I was starting a new role at my current agency that same day, I really didn’t have a lot of time for the whole dinner-and-dessert thing this time. Instead, I started the party a bit later and served desserts only.

While I am not a baker, I really enjoyed researching and pulling this menu together. It was a perfect fall evening on the porch and I knew we were going to get a little chilly out there as the evening progressed, so I wanted the dishes to be hearty, warming and diverse in flavors and textures. I wanted some hints of savory in the dishes, because wine-drinking isn’t always the perfect match with sweets. I also knew my dear friend, Sara, was bringing one of her amazing baked confections to wish me a happy birthday - which turned out to be one decadent, gorgeous chocolate-chocolate, triple-layered cake. What good friends I have - I'm so lucky!

It was a really lovely evening, full of laughter, candle-light, cozy blankets and great conversation (as always). Thanks to all the lovelies that helped send my porch off into autumn in style.

And, without further ado, here’s my book-club, desserts-only menu (with links to recipes):

To drink: prosecco and red wine

Fig and blue-cheese crostata with a walnut-crumble topping (recipe coming soon)

Honey-whipped goat cheese with oatcakes and red grapes

Triple-cream cheese with dried apricots and buttery crackers
                                                                                                      
To end the evening: my hott chocolate with cinnamon-sugar palmiers

Happy eating, -s.  

p.s. here's a song to start your weekend. hope you get lucky, too.
 

You Might Also Like

0 comments