just desserts ... and what we're eating

By Tuesday, January 22, 2013 , ,

I'm not a big baker or a big chocolate or dessert lover. Give me a bowl of ice cream, a cookie or some Haribo gummy bears and I'm a happy girl. Now, this is a bit of a problem since I am married to a chocolate lover and my first-born would take anything coated, drenched, submerged and sauced in chocolate. James's love-affair with sweets is still developing, but the way he tore into his birthday cupcake makes me think I'm in for a rude awakening.

When it comes to desserts, I like homey, simple, seasonal treats: citrus in the winter; rhubarb and strawberries in the spring, berries, peaches and plums in the summer and apples and figs in the fall. Below are a collection of winter desserts right up my alley: simple, elegant, fresh and fuss-free.

grapefruit curd from Two Tarts
 
pavlova with vanilla-poached oranges from Martha Stewart
 
grapefruit olive-oil cake from The Yellow House
 
lemon pudding from Gourmet magazine

Here's what we're eating this week ...

menu: week of 19 January 2013
Saturday: pork & ricotta meatballs with sautéed green cabbage
Sunday: roasted chicken breasts with mashed potatoes and sautéed spinach
Monday: bean and barley soup with cured pork belly; served with seeded bread and butter
Tuesday: chicken and broccoli divan
Wednesday: pork and snow-pea stir-fry
Thursday: tortellini en brodo with spinach and peas
Friday: pizza night

Happy eating, -s.

You Might Also Like

1 comments